Monday, June 9, 2014

Wearing the Body Brace to School

Hey!

At first when you find out that you have to wear a body brace to school, you think it is the end of the world. You think, "Oh, my, gosh, everyone will notice the body brace. They will think I look so weird. I won't be able to wear anything good looking." And the adults are all like, "Oh honey, don't worry, no body cares about that stuff" or "Nobody will notice it." Sure sometimes that stuff is true. But being an actual teenage I know what actually goes on. I am going to be pretty blunt.

So, my body brace actually isn't all the noticeable. Most of the time when people find out that I wear a body brace they are very, very surprised. This I credit to 2 things.
1) Having a non-noticeable body brace
2) Dressing to hide the body brace, not to flaunt my body (since I'm wearing the brace)

So, generally most teens won't tease someone with a medical condition, so if they notice the body brace they probably won't say anything. But everybody knows that there is that one person that decides it's funny to make fun of you.

Also, since I have a pretty bad case of scoliosis, I am not allowed to put weight on my back. So, I have to use a stupid roller backpack. I am in high school, so since most people don't know I wear a body brace, they make fun of my backpack. The all time favorite saying is, "Hey, where you going, the airport?"

If this happens to you, just ignore them seriously. I know adults are always saying "Ignoring the bullies is the answer." And usually you are like, "Haha ya right." But seriously it is a lot better then trying to explain your whole life story to them. Just ignore the bullies, and walk away quickly. The only reason they tease you is to get a reaction out of you.

At first, going to school in your body brace is going to be very uncomfortable and awkward. You are going to think everyone will notice, but it's like having a pimple. You're very uncomfortable and awkward, thinking everyone can see it from a mile away. But in reality, only a few people can barely see it.

So use my fashion tips to help you hide your brace, and go to school. Don't worry it will be ok.

~Scoliosis Fashionista~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing with informative article with us. Body brace for scoliosis is the most commonly used braces for scoliosis management in children because it provides pain-free and permanent correction of the curve of the spine.

    ReplyDelete